A Magazine about Acadia National Park and Surrounding Communities
Summer 2015 – Volume 20 No. 2
The Friends of Acadia Journal is published three times a year. With features about Acadia National Park’s history, resources, and programs, news about Friends of Acadia’s projects and activities, and information about how to get involved, the Friends of Acadia Journal is a great way to stay connected to Acadia National Park, all year long. Membership in Friends of Acadia includes a subscription to the Journal. Join Now »
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Waysides Express Views: Replacing 100 outdoor exhibits in the park | Lynne Dominy
• A Peripatetic Education: Mr. Dorr’s island “wanderings” | Ronald Epp
• Waterman Fund Grant Spurs Subalpine Trail Project: Many crews come together on Sargent Mountain | Charlie Jacobi and Gary Stellpflug
• Getting Around in Acadia: Current transportation planning is the latest in a long history | John Kelly
• Why I’m a Friend of Acadia: A Rejuvenated Sense of Place | Bobbie Burdick
Activities and Departments:
• President’s Message — Saluting an Outstanding Leader and Friend
• Superintendent’s View — 2016: The Acadia Legacy
• Special Person — Bambi Putman: A “Can Do” Friend
• Where in Acadia?
• Recommended Reading
• Advocacy Corner — Acadia Advocacy Far and Near
• Chairman’s Letter — Who are we? And How and Why we do what we do!
Cover Photograph: Surf at Great Head by Tom Blagden
Friends of Acadia is a membership and volunteer organization, and our work is significantly powered by volunteer effort. The Journal is no exception, and we are grateful to all of the writers and photographers who generously contribute their time and talents to our publication.
Thank you to our Journal sponsors:
Bluenose Inn, Acadia Corporation, Ann’s Point Inn, Asticou Inn, Bar Harbor Bank & Trust, Bar Harbor, Bicycle Shop, The Bar Harbor Historical Society, Bar Harbor Savings & Loan, Beal’s Lobster Pier, Birch Bay Village, Burdick & Associates Landscape Design, Cadillac Mountain Sports, Canon, Chapter Two, The Claremont Inc., Coplon Associates, The Davis Agency, Dolores Kong, EverGreen Home & Hearth, Fiore Artisan Olive Oils & Vinegars, The First, N.A., The Gallery at Somes Sound, Galyn’s, Hale & Hamlin, Hannaford Supermarkets, House Wine, Jackson Lab, John Williams Boat Company, The Knowles Company, L.L.Bean, L.S. Robinson Co. Insurance, LandVest, Loving Touch In-Home Care, Lynam Insurance & Real Estate, The MDIslander, Michael L. Ross Law Offices, Nelson F. Goodwin Company, Oli’s Trolley, Seal Cove Auto Museum, The Swan Agency Real Estate, Wallace Tent & Party Rental, Window Panes, XYZ Restaurant, Young Beck LLP