See all job openings on our Employment Opportunities page
Location: Hybrid: Onsite Bar Harbor Office/Acadia + remote
Job Status: Part-Time, Temporary Position (average 24 hours per week w/flexible schedule)
Term: March – Oct. 2023 (w/flexibility)
Reporting: Vice President of Communications
The Communications Specialist will support the VP of Communications in the process of developing a strategic communications plan for the organization by conducting background research, scheduling meetings, preparing, and executing stakeholder surveys, and assisting in implementing a highly engaged communications planning process. The Specialist will also provide writing, editing, proofreading, and other communications support for communications channels including the website, press releases, E-News, social media marketing, and events.
1) Support to Strategic Communications Planning Process (50%)
- Meeting logistics – Schedule meetings, secure and organize meeting space and technology, and send meeting invites and other communications to participants on behalf of the VP of Communications.
- Meeting documentation – Notetaking at various meetings to capture highlights, key takeaways, and action items; organize and file meeting documentation appropriately in Microsoft Teams.
- Meeting Facilitation – Assist with meeting organization and facilitation as needed.
Research re: other parks, foundations, conservation and friends’ groups communications programs and strategies; produce research summaries and reports.
- Help prepare and execute stakeholder surveys – including setting up surveys in online tools such as SurveyMonkey, proofing/testing/sending of online surveys, and assisting with the tabulation of results.
2) Wild Acadia Communications Planning Support (15-20%)
- Meeting logistics & documentation – schedule meetings, take notes and provide meeting documentation and other support as requested.
- Update website copy for climate change/Wild Acadia and other programs as requested.
- Create PowerPoint templates and presentations.
- Media tracking and reporting for news articles, mentions, speeches/presentations, other park/group inquiries.
- Research to identify key conferences and speaking opportunities for key park and Friends of Acadia staff, outreach inquiries to secure speaking opportunities.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Wild Acadia communications plan, including progress accomplishments and media tracking.
3) Public/Media Relations (5-10%)
- Draft press releases and media advisories to support Friends of Acadia programs and events.
- Build and maintain press lists.
- Track PR and media mentions by strategic pillar or focus area.
- Assist in handling media inquiries.
4) Content Creation & Communications Support (20-25%)
- Write and update content for the organization’s website using WordPress – opportunities to learn more about search engine optimization.
- Write, edit, and proof content for Acadia magazine, E-News, and other communications channels and events.
- Assist in the implementation and updating of Friends of Acadia’s content plan.
- Provide social media back-up and create social media campaigns as requested.
- Misc. event and other communications project support as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field (or college senior – internship credit possible).
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including active listening, motivation, dependability, and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, and storytelling skills.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong people skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Must possess strong working knowledge and proficiency working with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and prefer Microsoft Teams experience.
- Basic research skills, including the ability to explore and diagnose a problem and to recognize a quality source.
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn about Acadia National Park.
- Prefer WordPress or another website content management system.
- Prefer knowledge and experience with Adobe Acrobat and/or Adobe Photoshop.
- Prefer social media marketing experience.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
APPLY TO: Send cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Lori Schaefer, Vice President of Communications, email@example.com, no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, March 3, 2023.
COMPENSATION: $20-$30 per hour starting salary, commensurate with experience.
Friends of Acadia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Friends of Acadia is an independent nonprofit organization, founded in 1986. Its mission is to preserve the outstanding natural beauty, ecological vitality and cultural distinctiveness of Acadia National Park and the surrounding communities, and thereby to ensure high quality experiences for visitors and residents.