February is for Valentines, and we’re saving our biggest red-construction-paper heart for Acadia National Park. This year it comes with a special surprise: the news that in January Friends of Acadia surpassed $20 million in cumulative grants to Acadia and the surrounding communities since our founding in 1986. That represents hundreds of projects large and small that would not have happened if not for the commitment of our members and supporters. Hundreds of projects that directly benefit this magnificent place, America’s first eastern national park. Thank you for being a part of it.
Some prefer roses for Valentine’s Day, and we’re also pleased that Acadia’s budget future is looking a bit more “rosy” than it did a few months ago. When FOA President David MacDonald visited Washington last month, federal funding for Acadia was looking up but still uncertain. Since then, park officials have learned that Acadia’s appropriation for 2014 will be $7.7 million—which is less than its pre-sequester budget, but enough to ensure the Park Loop Road and other facilities will open on April 15 this spring, as usual. For Acadia-region businesses and visitors alike, those roses smell sweet indeed!
Acadia National Park centennial logo contest: Calling all artists and graphic designers! Friends of Acadia and Acadia National Park invite you to design a logo celebrating the park’s 100th anniversary in the year 2016. The winner of the Acadia National Park Centennial Celebration Logo Contest will receive a prize of $3,000 and their design will appear on publications, merchandise, online, and elsewhere throughout the centennial celebration. Plus, they will have the pleasure of being an integral part of the park’s centennial celebrations!
The deadline for submissions is February 28, 2014. For complete rules, creative brief, and entry form, visit our website.
Canon renews Wild Acadia support for 2014: Last year, Canon U.S.A. began a ground-breaking partnership with Friends of Acadia, to help support our new Wild Acadia initiative to rehabilitate the park’s natural resources and give them resilience to withstand modern-day threats. The partnership enabled important work to manage invasive plants in the park and study water quality in Jordan Pond. “We’re delighted than Canon will continue as the lead sponsor for Wild Acadia this year,” says Lisa Horsch Clark, FOA development director. “Canon’s strong commitment to the long-term well-being of Acadia National Park will make a measurable difference for the health of the park’s unique natural assets.”
Annual park pass art contest winner: Every year, Acadia National Park sponsors a contest among local schoolchildren to create the artwork for the park’s annual pass, with Friends of Acadia providing a $50 prize for the winner. This year, Mount Desert Elementary School eighth-grader Jacob Legutko’s iconic drawing of the Porcupine Islands was selected to adorn the park’s new wallet cards, which will replace the window decals used in past years. Whether driving, walking, or biking into the park, we all purchase a park pass. Congratulation, Jacob—we’ll be proud to carry your art in our wallet this year!
Window decals purchased in 2013 will still be valid until their expiration month in 2014. By law, 80% of all entrance fees paid in Acadia stay in Acadia, helping to pay for needed repairs and projects to improve visitor services and facilities, like the accessible trail on the Cadillac summit. The remaining 20% benefits all NPS sites.
Header Photo: Sunrise and new snow at Schooner Head Overlook. FOA photo by Aimee Beal Church.
“Conservation is not a Republican or Democratic value; it is an American value that we cannot afford to ignore.” —US Reps. Chris Gibson (R-NY) and Jared Huffman (D-CA)