How to Make a Cadillac Vehicle Reservation:
- Reservations are available for purchase online at Recreation.gov.
- Visitors can buy both a park entrance pass and a Cadillac Summit Road vehicle reservation through the Recreation.gov website.
- A vehicle reservation costs $6 and the fee covers the park’s cost of administering and staffing the reservation system and completing necessary infrastructure improvements.
- Vehicle reservations do not have time limits. The timed-entry reservation system allows visitors to stay on the mountain as long as they want after entry.
- For visitors who prefer to plan far in advance, 30 percent of available vehicle reservations are released 90 days ahead of each calendar date. The remaining 70 percent are released at 10 am ET two days ahead of each date to allow visitors a bit more trip spontaneity.
Why a Reservation System?
Acadia National Park is among the smallest and most popular national parks in the United States with more than 4 million estimated visits in 2021. Growing visitation has caused severe traffic and parking congestion at the park’s most popular destinations, including Cadillac Summit. To address these issues, the National Park Service completed a Transportation Plan in 2019 that provides a range of management actions for the park. The plan included a vehicle reservation system for the Cadillac Summit Road, which was fully implemented in 2021.
Park studies show that about 75% of park visitors go to the summit of Cadillac at some point during their stay. The summit’s popularity has resulted in trampling of fragile alpine soils and plants, illegal parking and traffic gridlock, crowding at interpretive platforms, unsafe conditions, and degradation of the overall visitor experience. During peak visitation, the summit road can become so crowded that emergency vehicles cannot access the top of the mountain.
With a vehicle reservation, visitors are assured that a parking space will be available when they arrive and they won’t have to spend time hunting for a space–or worse, not find one at all!